You’ve surely invested a great deal of time and money in your VMware environment and built highly available ESX clusters. But what guarantees do you have that those cluster will always work and fail-over flawlessly no matter what?
Let’s face it – it is difficult to maintain an impeccable cluster configuration that is aligned with vendor best practices. Not to mention staying in-sync with any changes made in the different IT layers that vSphere HA interfaces with. Unfortunately, even a minor misconfiguration or gap between cluster nodes can keep your system from doing what it was meant to do – provide high availability with successful fail-overs.
ESX Storage and Replication Configuration
AvailabilityGuard verifies that your underlying storage devices are accessible and configured to provide equal levels of availability and service. AvailabilityGuard assures you that upon a host failure your clusters will successfully relocate workload to other hosts and be able to react to VM failures — whether at the OS or application level. When VMware SRM is used, you can be assured that your SRM is set up correctly to manage the replication process, to make DR LUNs accessible, and to start the services at the remote site, thereby ensuring that multi-site fail-over and DR work according to plan.
- LUNS inaccessible to cluster nodes (local or remote nodes), or accessible to unauthorized hosts
- Fabric single-point-of-failure or masking/zoning misconfigurations that will fail fail-over (also within the Blade system)
- Incorrect replication settings for EMC, HDS, IBM, HP, NetApp and other storage platforms.
- Data misplaced on incorrect storage tier, or on un-shared volumes.
- Incorrect storage disk group (DG) configuration, SRM protection groups or network mappings.
- And more.
VM and Application Level Settings
Your ESX Cluster environment includes many components such as Virtual Machines, Virtual File Systems, Database and Application Servers, guest OS clustering and more. With so many components and with a flood of routine changes being made to the environment, the risk of creating issues that may lead to failed switch-overs is substantial. AvailabilityGuard is here to find those misconfigurations and assure you that all cluster configurations and settings are aligned and well-orchestrated, so your ESX clusters perform as designed, no matter what.
- Single-points-of-failure – clusters, business services or same-function VMs running on the same single physical hardware.
- Virtual SCSI devices and RDM availability best practice violations
- App HA best practices
- VMware Tools settings that impact availability, data protection, backup, time sync, etc..
- Application best practices for VMware VMs (SQL/Oracle, Tomcat, WebLogic, Java and more)
- And more.
ESX Cluster Node
AvailabilityGuard’s intelligent comparison engine empowers the VMware administrator to proactively identify and fix inconsistencies between cluster nodes that could lead to unexpected behavior at and following a cluster fail-over.
- Differences in OS version, ESX options, services, network options, domain, etc.
- Differences in FC Adapter settings, NIC configuration, etc.
- Differences in multipath configuration – number of paths, path selection policy (PSP), Storage Array Type Plug-in (SATP)
- Differences in domain configuration, DNS, time and ntp settings, etc.
- And more.
Eliminate ESX Configuration Vulnerabilities
Easily verify that your vSphere HA and ESX servers configurations comply with VMware guidelines and with community-driven best practices. Just let AvailabilityGuard run its smart analysis that includes comprehensive investigation of ESX Server options, Datastores, vMotion and DRS configuration.
- vSphere HA and Fault Tolerance (FT) guidelines (Host Monitoring, VM Monitoring, Restart Priority, Admission Control, DPM, Affinity rules and more)
- Virtual networking best practices for successful fail-over (port groups, VLAN, management interfaces and more)
- Snapshot and swap file analysis
- DRS and SDRS best practice breaches
- NFS and VMFS datastore misconfigurations
- And more.